Friday, May 6, 2016

Journal Entries - posted by WOW


Monday 4/18

Rod and I took off with his wife Julie. She walked the first mile with us. Then, we went on our own. Semi serious climb up Weaverton Cliff. Then we hiked on the flat trail along the ridgeline. Big hills are hard for me - it will get better. I will sleep well tonight.



Tuesday 4/19

Left Ed Garvey Shelter later than expected after I got my food bags stuck in a tree. Stopped at Gathland State Park for water. Uphill climb out of there. Couldn't figure why my pack was hurting so much in the shoulders. After 2 miles,  I realized I had not cinched my waist belt. My shoulders are sore. Thank goodness for Arnicare!



Wednesday 4/20

I must have been tired. I went to bed at 8:30 and slept until 6:30. Good day hiking today. Stopped for some sightseeing at Washington Monument. Several steep hills which I don't like. Rod helped me adjust my pack. Much better!! I am sore at the end of the day, but Arnicare is working.



Thursday 4/21

I have never seen so many rocks!!! Going up and down is really hard for me to navigate. I sense my balance is not as good as it once was. I took my first fall. Fortunately, it was on my back. I felt like a turtle!



Friday 4/22

 Spent last night at Ensign Cowell Shelter. Stayed in shelter because of rain. Crazy woman kept us up all night ranting. She has some serious demons. Hip is REALLY bothering me. I've been popping Alieve for 2 days. Talked with Rod about leaving me behind - I am holding him up. He said to wait til the end of the day and see how things were. Came to Antietam Creek Crossing, I could not continue. I said Good-bye to Rod, hitchhiked into Smithsburg, Maryland. I got x-rays. Something is wrong, seriously wrong with my hip. I am going home.



4/23 - 5/3

Back home in Cleveland. Bone scan, MRI and doctor visits. Whatever they saw on the x-rays in Maryland do not seem to be an item for concern. Going to b heading bac to the trail. Took care of WOW wifey's honey do list. Putting AC in window when it was 47 degrees outside. Brought out porch furniture with my hat and gloves on when I usually still have firewood stacked on the porch.


Wednesday 5/4

Keith drove me to Carlisle PA last night. Raining in the morning. I had a 9:30 phone interview with Keith Larson. Waited for rain to let up. Finally took off about 10:30. Keith dropped me off and I am back on the trail. Feeling good. Some rocks but mostly flat. Arrived at shelter about 2:00 pm. Wet and cold. Changed out of wet close, hung to dry. Met Bean Dip and Mary - two Aussies hiking the trail.


Thursday 5/5

Cold and damp in the morning. Bit the bullet and put on wet shoes and socks. Said good-bye to Lois and Clark. Took off and the heat from my feet had soon dried out my wool socks. Amazing! Lots of rocks today, but many stretches of dirt. Somehow managed to walk past Cove's Mountain Shelter. Kept on walking and made it into Duncannon PA. My longest day yet - 12 miles. Stopped at Duncannon VFW to make sure I was still on the trail. There are not many white blazes when you get into towns. Outside of the VFW, I ran into Trail Angel Mary. She gave me a ride to the Red Carpet Inn. I will be staying here tonight.


Friday 5/6


Forecast calls for pouring rain all day, up to 2 inches with temperatures in the low 50s. Sounds like a good day to take a zero! Zero day in Duncannon. Lunch at the Doyle; great burger! Met Pat, the owner. An Institution! Picked up box from Post Office. Relaxed at the Red Carpet Inn - stayed warm and watched the Cavs. They won! Life is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment