Saturday, May 14, 2016

Journal Entries May 7 - May 15 - posted by WOW

Saturday 5/7
The rain has stopped and I am on the trail again. Coming up out of Duncannon I broke my pole moving around some rocks and part of it slid down the mountain. I could see it so I scrambled down to get it thinking I could possibly fix it. I retrieved it and crawled back up the mountain and somehow missed the trail. Kept on climbing and got lost on the mountain. Traverse back and forth hoping to find the trail. Finally saw some people on the trail so I worked my way back down and found the trail. Got to the shelter and jerry-rigged one pole. Spent the evening with Quick Tow Truck and Step and a Half. Lots of arnicare tonight!

Sunday 5/8
I am getting so tired of rocks. They slow me down so much and cause my hips, knees and ankles to hurt. Managed to get off the trail walked about 20 minutes and realized I had not seen a blaze. I had to backtrack 20 minutes till I got back up with the trail. It is supposed to be marked with blazes every 75 feet or so but it is early in the season and some of the places have worn off and have not been replaced. Spent the night at Peter's Mountain shelter. Talked with an Air Force vet she is suffering from PTSD and is very angry. She is so angry that she gets mad when people say thank you for your service  because she feels they have no idea of what she has been through so how can they thank her. It is sad to see the devastation that PTSD creates.

Monday 5/9
My hip is really starting to hurt again. Alieve is not working. Got to route 325 parking area. Saw a man loading up his wife to hike. His name was Chris Brennan. What a kind man. He gave me a ride to the Days Inn in Lickdale Pennsylvania a day early. I will meet Anne here tomorrow and we will relax for a day and then head to Damascus Virginia for Trail Days where I will speak.

Wednesday – Sunday 5/11 - 5/15 Trail Days


No comments:

Post a Comment